- Maintaining program files, regulations, publications, and related documents;
- Coordinating and attending meetings or large conferences;
- Formatting reports and statistical data for presentations;
- Using databases and other software to sort, track, edit, and retrieve data;
- Preparing and editing correspondence, reports, and other documents;
- Assisting with analyzing trends and projecting potential program outcomes.
Job family (Series)
0399 Administration And Office Support Student Trainee
Conditions of Employment
- You must successfully pass a background investigation.
- Selective Service registration required.
- Please review “Other Information” section for additional key requirements.
Please ensure you meet the (1) Education Requirements and (2) Pathways Program Requirements as described below.
You meet both the (1) Education Requirements and (2) Pathways Program Requirements as described below.
1) EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
GS-04: Completion of two (2) full academic years of post-high school education
GS-05: Completion of four (4) academic years of post-high school education
(2) PATHWAYS PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
- You must be current enrolled or accepted for enrollment (Fall 2020) in a qualifying educational institution pursuing a degree, diploma or certificate;
- You must have and maintain good academic standing, as defined by your school; with the following Grade-Point-Average (GPA), without rounding:
- GPA 2.0 for undergraduate level educational programs.
- GPA 3.0 for graduate level educational programs
- You must remain enrolled at least half-time to meet continued Pathways Internship Program eligibility requirements.
- Unofficial/official transcripts are required and must show your name, institution name, course taken/taking, and GPA.
- Unofficial transcripts must show that you are currently enrolled at the time the announcement closes or that you are enrolled in the next available term. **See Note Below**
- If you are graduating after the Spring 2020 semester and cannot provide documentation of enrollment in another qualifying program, you are not eligible for to apply.
NOTE: Due to the current Covid-19 situation and closure of institutions to in-person classes, if selected for one of our internship position – you must provide a letter from your school stating that you are (1) currently enrolled in Fall 2020; or (2) you are eligible to enroll in Fall 2020.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills, and provides valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
NOTE: Qualifications are based on breadth/level of experience. In addition to describing duties performed, applicants must provide the exact dates of each period of employment (from MM/YY to MM/YY) and the number of hours worked per week if part time. As qualification determinations cannot be made when resumes do not include the required information, failure to provide this information may result in disqualification. Applicants are encouraged to use the USAJOBS Resume Builder to develop their federal resume. For a brief video on How to Create a Federal Resume, click here.
Current or former FEMA Reservists/DAE employees: To accurately credit your experience for these intermittent positions, make sure to list the dates (from MM/YY to MM/YY) of each deployment, along with the job title and specific duties you were responsible for during each deployment. Failure to provide this information may result in disqualification.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) must authorize employment offers made to current or former political appointees. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee in the Executive Branch, you must disclose this information to the Human Resources Office.
Upon Selection you will be required to provide one of the following:
- Official transcripts sent directly from your institution showing your name, institution name, current/future enrollment, and GPA.
- Letter sent directly from your institution providing your name, current standing, current/future enrollment, and GPA.
- Acceptance Letter from a qualifying institution showing you are accepted for enrollment in Fall 2020.
- To ensure the accomplishment of our mission, DHS requires every employee to be reliable and trustworthy. To meet those standards, all selected applicants must undergo, successfully pass, and maintain a background investigation for Public Trust clearance as a condition of placement into this position. This may include a credit check after initial job qualifications are determined (Mythbuster), review of financial issues, such as delinquency in the payment of debts, child support and/or tax obligations, as well as certain criminal offenses and illegal use or possession of drugs. For more information on background investigations for Federal jobs please OPM Investigations.
- If you receive a conditional offer of employment for this position, you will be required to complete an Optional Form 306, Declaration for Federal Employment, and to sign and certify the accuracy of all information in your application, prior to entry on duty. False statements on any part of the application may result in withdrawal of offer of employment, dismissal after beginning work, fine, or imprisonment.
- DHS uses E-verify, an internet based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
- This announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies.
- Pathways Internship positions are considered a trial period for the entirety of the appointment
- If selected for this position you are subject to completion of a 2 day onboarding program at your primary duty location
- The Department of Homeland Security encourages persons with disabilities to apply, to include persons with intellectual, severe physical or psychiatric disabilities, as defined by 5 CFR § 213.3102(u), and/or Disabled Veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30 percent or more as defined by 5 CFR § 315.707. Veterans, Peace Corps/VISTA volunteers, and persons with disabilities possess a wealth of unique talents, experiences, and competencies that can be invaluable to the DHS mission. If you are a member of one of these groups, you may not have to compete with the public for federal jobs. To determine your eligibility for non-competitive appointment and to understand the required documentation, click on the links above or contact the Servicing Human Resources Office listed at the bottom of this announcement.
- This is a Non-Bargaining Unit position.
- This position is not eligible for extension beyond 90 days or conversion to the competitive service.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
You will be evaluated based upon:
- How well you meet the education requirements above, based upon OPM Qualification Standards for Interns.
- If you meet the Pathways Internship Program eligibility requirements.
Each applicant will receive an determination of eligible or ineligible. Applicants missing documents will receive a determination of incomplete. All required documents must be submitted prior to the close of this announcement, late submission of documents will not be allowed.
Applicants eligible for veteran’s preference will be referred and considered ahead of non-veterans as required by law.
If you are best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview.
Veterans: Qualified veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best-qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-09 grade level, or higher. This position is not considered scientific/professional. Other 10-point preference eligibles and veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. View information on veterans’ preference.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the federal government, you are not ICTAP eligible. View information about ICTAP eligibility on OPM’s Career Transition Resources website. To be considered eligible under ICTAP, you must be placed in the “well-qualified” category for this position, as described above. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
Moderate Risk (MR)
Trust determination process
- RESUME: You must submit a resume.
- Your resume must have your name, email address, and good contact number. Please ensure that you have access to the email provided during the summer (2020).
- Your resume must clearly show your expected graduation date and indicate your major.
- Your resume must indicate any skills and experience you possess that are related to the duties posted in the job announcement.
- Education: You must submit transcripts.
- You must submit current transcript(s) to verify that you meet the education requirement for this position (i.e., transcript showing current enrollment and course load or proof of acceptance into a degree-seeking accredited learning institution).
- Your transcript(s) must include your name, institution name, course titles, date completed, grades, and number of credits earned.
- If you have graduated and are enrolled in another program, you must include your transcripts showing degree conferral date along with current transcripts.
- Applicants who obtained their qualifying education outside of the U.S. and its territories must provide proof that their degrees have been validated as equivalent to a degree conferred by a college or university in the U.S.
- Unofficial transcripts are acceptable; however, if you are selected for an Internship position, official transcripts will be required.
- High School Seniors scheduled to graduate in Spring 2020 will need to submit a letter stating that you are schedule to graduate, the date, GPA, and your standing. This letter needs to be on school letterhead and signed by a school official (i.e. Principle, Vice Principle, Admissions Office, or Guidance Counselor)
- Are you a veteran?
- Submit Member Copy 4 of your DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) that shows your character of service.
- Those applying for 10-Point preference must provide documentation that demonstrates preference eligibility and may provide the SF-15.
- If applying based on eligibility under the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) Act, you must submit certification (letter from the Armed Forces that you will be discharged or released from active duty service under honorable conditions, no later than April 2020 with your application. This must indicate your dates of service, expected release dates, start of transitional leave, your rank, and confirm that you will be separated under honorable or general conditions. View more veterans’ information.
- Are you a current or former federal employee? Submit a copy of your most recent SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (see Note 1).
- Are you a current or former political Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee employee? Submit a copy of your applicable SF-50, along with a statement that provides the following information regarding your most recent political appointment:
- Position Title
- Type of Appointment (Schedule A, Schedule C, Non-career SES or Presidential Appointee)
- Beginning and ending dates of appointment
Note 1: Examples of applicable SF-50’s for submission include appointment, promotion, and with-in-grade/range increases – award SF-50’s will not be accepted.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
- RESUME: You must submit a resume.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
You are not entitled to any benefits during this Internship.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This position will be filled under the Pathway Internship Program. This program allows students to gain paid work experience while pursuing a degree, diploma or certificate at a qualifying institution. Apply for this exciting opportunity with FEMA.
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.
When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit http://www.fema.gov for additional information.
As a Student Trainee (Administrative), you may:
This job is open to
Current students enrolled in accredited educational institutions from high school to graduate level. Includes internships, pathways and other student programs.
Clarification from the agency
This job is open to: Students who are currently enrolled at least half-time (as determined by the institution) in a certificate or degree seeking program in an accredited educational institution. Individual accepted for the Fall of 2020 are eligible to apply. This internship position will not start until after May 2020.