Company: Whittier Health Network
Location: Westborough, MA
Student Nurse Intern â Summer/Temporary Employment
32-40 hours, including every other weekend
- Assists patients with activities of daily living specific to culture, age and developmental level, including assisting patients with bathing, dressing and undressing; preparing patients for meals, assisting/feeding patients as needed; distributing water and other nourishments to patients; positioning and transferring patients; assisting in ambulation, assisting in toileting needs/use of bedpan, urinal, commode, and ostomy care, among other duties.
- Performs tasks/tests delegated by the registered nurse and reports/records data as needed, including taking and recording vital signs; temperature, pulse, blood pressure and respiration; measuring and recording intake and output; collecting specimens (urine, stool); among other duties.
- Performs advanced skills delegated by the registered nurse as deemed competent, reports/records data as needed, including performing fingerstick blood glucose monitoring, bladder scan, male and female intermittent catheterization and indwelling foley catheterization, among other duties.
- Continuously monitors/observes patients to assure needs are met in a timely manner.
- Reports any changes observed in condition or behavior of patients and unusual incidents.
- Documents on both skilled and no-skilled sections of the documentation tools, counter signature of the RN required.
- Assists registered nursing personnel in establishing and revising the patientâs plan of care.
- Assists the registered nurse personnel with patient/family education.
- Can initiate CPR measures when indicated. Recognizes and promptly reports life-threatening situations.
- Respects patient/family privacy and maintains confidentiality.
- Maintains professional relationships and communicates effectively with patients and their families appropriate to their age and developmental level.
- Assists with patient admissions and discharges as directed by the licensed nurse.
- Assists patients with handling of clothing and other personal property throughout their hospital stay.
- Practices careful and efficient use of supplies and follows established charge procedures for patient charge items.
- Properly handles and disposes of hazardous waste materials.
- Performs activities using proper body mechanics for protection of self and others.
- Attends mandatory in-services and completes/maintains competencies specific to job description.
- Assists in monitoring and maintaining standards of safety, infection control, and monitors environment for safety hazards and cleanliness.
- Minimum education: High School Diploma or GED.
- Ability to read, write and speak English.
- May be a graduate of an accredited RN School of Nursing.
- Current certification in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as a Nursing Assistant (or currently enrolled and successful completion of the first year in an accredited RN program).
- Certification in BLS of Adult, Child and Infant.
- Provide documentation of prior experience performing advanced skills.
- Knowledge of growth and development across the life span.