Formal review of applications begins:
Apr 3, 2020
Key Position Information:
The Manager, PeopleSoft Student System Development reports to the Associate Vice President of Enrollment Services in the Student Affairs division. This is a critical position which ensures that students, faculty, and staff can perform essential functions in our PeopleSoft Student information system. To be effective, the candidate in this position will need to understand the fundamentals of programming, data and systems integration, data querying, training, and customer service. The Manager position is the primary liaison between the system developers who code the system and the functional end-users who use the system. A knowledge of how front-line staff members, faculty members, and students interface with a Student Information System is essential. The Manager along with his or her team, fields approximately 300 emails, phone calls or instant messages from end-users (primarily staff) each week. The position requires someone who can work effectively under pressure, who can resolve issues, and who can work with a wide variety of users. Above all, the position demands someone who seeks to continuously improve the student experience and who is resolved to maintain a high performing system.
Responsible for the coordination, management, planning, and continuing development of a segment of the college’s student system support which includes the following functional business processes: admissions, academic advising, enrollment, graduation course and faculty management, student records, student recruiting, student and faculty self-service, and other functional areas that provide support to students and staff.
Typical Essential Duties
- Serves as liaison to the AIS System Development Team;
- Enhances SPC’s ability to provide quality student support services that optimize the use of technology within the educational area;
- Serves as primary liaison between functional end users and the technical support staff;
- Manages a team of Information Technology Specialists and Research Specialists who help train and provide end-user support, troubleshoot issues, and test and maintain the SIS during new development and bundle application;
- Writes queries to extract data using Oracle/PeopleSoft query tools and Structured Query Language (SQL) applications;
- Coordinates ongoing communication and planning with key functional staff and technical support;
- Coordinates the application and testing of software bundles, minor and major system upgrades;
- Engages in the appropriate testing of computer system applications;
- Manages issues and resources as related to the support of the SPC Student System;
- Provides input into the business practices of functional units as required;
- Develops online training materials and documentation for functional users;
- Participates in the development of user and operational documentation.
- Maintain the configuration of setup tables in the Student Information System;
- Maintain the user-roles, security, and access to the Student Information System;
- Work with systems administrators of systems, which integrate to SPC’s Student Information System, e.g. SPC’s LMS system.
This is the fourth of six levels in the Information Technology series. Incumbents coordinate and implement the maintenance, use and enhancement of software or hardware systems critical to the operation of the College. Responsibilities may include analyzing system capabilities and implementing process and procedure changes to better utilize software or hardware; coordinating with software vendors regarding software support and system enhancements; coordinating projects involving the implementation of new software or hardware, or system changes; and training end users.
Bachelor’s degree in information systems or related field to assigned area. Master’s degree preferred.
Four (4) years experience working with a post-secondary Student Information System. Two (2) years experience supporting users of a post-secondary Student Information System. Experience supporting users of the PeopleSoft Student Administration System preferred. Business Analyst or Programming experience using PeopleSoft query/SQL preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job may be acceptable in lieu of those requirements listed above.
Student Affairs principles;
Supervision and Management principles;
Systems analysis and design principles;
Project management principles;
Applicable programming languages;
Process improvement principles;
Web site development methods, principles, and practices;
Customer service principles;
Computers and related software applications.
Ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines for deliverables;
Programming and troubleshooting applications, databases, and systems;
Utilizing and managing systems;
Establishing and following procedural and technical standards;
Monitoring and assessing web sites;
Training end-users on applications and systems;
Communicating technical information to a non-technical audience;
Interpreting customer requirements and translating into system specifications;
Using a computer and related software applications;
Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with subordinates, coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to give and receive work direction.
Positions in this class typically require: reaching, standing, walking, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.
Manages multiple systems, applications, and/or functions and related projects which include testing system performance, identifying system risks and needs, and performing related duties.
Researches information technology problems and discovers sources of errors; analyzes systems capabilities and implements necessary operational changes; participates in the development and/or review of equipment and/or service specifications.
Confers with users to determine needs and implement best practice solutions. Provides end-user support and troubleshooting of software problems and issues.
Analyzes data and develops reports for decision making. Develops training documents, provides training when needed, and maintains system user access and role assignments.
Coordinates projects with internal and external parties as necessary.
Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.