The mission of New York Edge is to help bridge the opportunity gap among underserved students by providing programs designed to improve academic performance, health and wellness, self-confidence, character and attitudes for success in life.
We are currently seeking part-time employees to start paid virtual training as soon as possible!!!
Virtual interviews are being scheduled now!
Tutor/counselors are responsible for supervising and leading a group of students (primarily elementary school) in the New York Edge programs while promoting the physical, intellectual, social, cultural and emotional well-being of said group. Tutor/counselors also participate in activities and trips while providing and maintaining a safe working environment. New York Edge tutor/counselors must embrace positive child and youth development principles and practices. These include building on youth strengths rather than focusing on youth deficits; setting and maintaining high expectations; understanding the centrality of and fostering positive relationships with peers and adults; providing age-appropriate and challenging programming; engaging participants as partners, not just as consumers of services; promoting positive identity formation and helping young people to fully develop their potential. New York Edge tutor/counselors respect and value the cultures and traditions of participants, their families and their communities, and treat all participants and staff equally, irrespective of race, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, age or disability. New York Edge tutor/counselors must appreciate the range of abilities and diverse needs of children and youth in our programs.
Essential Job Functions:
- Establish and enforce rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among the students for whom they are responsible (primarily elementary school kids).
- Organize, lead, and promote the students interest and participation in the activities offered by the Champions Club program.
- Provide homework help to students.
- Greet new arrivals to the program, introducing them to other students, explaining rules, and encouraging participation.
- He/she fosters an atmosphere of fun and learning and serves as a role model to youth, always conducting him/herself in the utmost professional manner and maintaining appropriate boundaries
- Promotes positive character development in all youth
- HS diploma required. AA or BA in progress preferred
- Must be responsible, reliable and punctual!
- Strong academic skills in Math and English. Knowledge of New York State standards and test preparation.
- Demonstrated interest in the field of education, child development
- Well organized, able to work both independently and collaboratively
- Direct experience working or volunteering with youth in a classroom, after school, or community based environment.
At time of offer and acceptance, the job requires safety and security clearances through the Department of Education and Department of Health.
New York Edge is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Disclaimer: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.