More information about this job:
If you enjoy variety, put your time‐management and organization skills to use partaking in field visits, office work, and projects.
During the co-op with Chemical Operations, you will be given assignments of limited scope and complexity giving you the opportunity to learn. The intern would be responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Participating in FM Global training to learn the fundamentals of building construction, occupancy, protection and exposures (COPE) as it relates to risk assessment and risk mitigation.
- Learning the fundamentals of fire protection systems.
- Developing an understanding of the Management of Process Safety in the Chemical Industry and how this relates to property conservation and underwriting (Risk Transfer) decisions.
- Developing their knowledge of Reaction Hazards and ways/ methods to mitigate risk i.e. process controls and SIL/ SIS systems. Witness and participate in the field testing of fire protection devices and water supplies.
- Field trailing FM Global Field Engineers during their visits to commercial properties of varying complexity and learn how to perform “hands‐on” site assessments of the physical property, including roofs. Review mechanical and electrical equipment operation, installation, maintenance and loss potential hazards.
- Communicating basic recommendations and/or engineering solutions to ensure client understanding and agreement for risk improvement.
- Documenting risk analysis of locations visited.
- Leading and delivering a technical project to be determined by FM Global Supervisors.
- Shadowing professionals in various departments within FM Global to gain a holistic understanding of the company and engineering team.
- Visiting other FM Global locations (such as the Corporate offices and research campus).
- Participating in professional development events with other interns and co-ops.
Successful Consultant Engineer Chemical Co-ops have the following qualifications:
- Plan to graduate with a bachelors degree in chemical engineering;
- Ability to work F/T during July-Dec 2020 co-op;
- Strong verbal and written communications skills;
- Good analytical, organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills;
- Efficient time management skills;
- Naturally inquisitive with the ability to undertake and deliver projects with minimal supervision;
- Solid technical aptitude including diverse knowledge of engineering principles;
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle throughout co-op;
- Ability to commute to Boston Operation (Norwood, MA) throughout co-op;
- Physical ability to climb ladders, lift >25 lbs., balance, and work at elevated heights;
- Proficient in MS Office products.
You will be expected to work independently.