The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is currently searching for students to join our BUSINESS INTERNSHIP PROGRAM.
BUSINESS INTERN opportunities are offered in areas such as: Administrative Services, Business Administration, Financial Services, Fiscal, Human Resources, Communications and Civil Rights.
This advertisement seeks to fill positions in the Bristol District. If a candidate is interested in internship opportunities in another district or the Central Office a separate application will be required. Please
see VDOTs internship job postings by location.
The Internship Program is designed to provide students exposure to the diverse types of work the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) performs and develops them for a future career in the
transportation industry. This program also gives Interns hands-on job assignments and the opportunity to work closely with a diverse group of professionals.
Interns spend the summer working on unique projects and activities. In addition, interns get the opportunity to network with other interns. This allows them to learn from each other about the diverse needs of the
VDOT is seeking students majoring in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Information Technology, Communications, or related field of study. Students with strong analytical skills, interpersonal and presentation skills, customer service, time management and organizational skills are encouraged to apply.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) is responsible for building, maintaining and operating the state’s roads, bridges, tunnels and ferry systems.Through the Commonwealth Transportation Board,
VDOT also provides funding for airports, rail and public transportation. Virginia has the third largest state-maintained highway system in the country, employing just over 7,500 employees across the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- Be a US citizen or permanent US resident.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- As of May 2020, be a rising sophomore (2nd year), junior (3rd year) or senior (4th year) of undergraduate study in an accredited two year or four year college or university or a graduate student at an accredited university.
- Possess a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or above on a 4.0 scale for undergraduate students and a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale for graduate students.
- Have completed a minimum of 12 credit hours per semester for undergraduate students and 9 credit hours per semester for graduate students.
Successful interns will be motivated, customer focused and action-oriented individuals with a drive for learning on the job and achieving results. Candidates should be able to make quality and timely decisions, take initiative, communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, prioritize and organize multiple demands in a continuously changing environment, and meet established deadlines. Ability to anticipate problems, provide solutions, follow instructions, learn quickly and collaborate with teammates.
- Business Intern Hiring Range:
- $14.00/hour Undergraduate Students
- $16.00/hour Graduate Students
- A resume and an unofficial transcript must be submitted with this application to be considered for this position.
- A sealed official transcript is required if an internship offer is extended to the candidate.
- Selected candidates will start at the beginning of June 2020, and work until August 2020. Interns who have satisfactory performance evaluations may have the opportunity to work during the following academic year.
- This is a part-time wage position – NO state benefits offered.
- Housing and Relocation are NOT provided.
- This position DOES NOT offer sponsorship.
- Some Business Intern positions may require unrestricted mobility including, at times, unrestricted mobility in irregular terrain; work in an outdoor environment; and the ability to lift, bend and stand for long periods.
- Assignments may include requirements to wear personal protective equipment (hardhat, safety vest, safety boots, etc.) and the ability to work from heights (may include requirements to wear fall protections equipment).
VDOT is a diverse and inclusive organization. We encourage those with disabilities to apply for an internship position. VDOT is a “Virginia Values Veterans” (V3) officially certified state agency since 2015 that provides hiring preference to Veterans and Members of the Virginia National Guard.
VDOT employees have Shared Values and a Code of Ethics (http://www.virginiadot.org/about/missionandvalues.asp). We encourage all those who apply to review these values and ethics. If you share our values, we invite you to apply. Your success in our organization depends upon sharing these values and keeping this Code of Ethics.
Submission of a State application online through the Recruitment Management System (RMS) is the only method by which to apply. VDOT will not accept State applications submitted via email, postal mail, fax, or in person. The deadline for application submission is 11:59 pm on the closing date. Applicants are expected to fully represent qualifications and work history on the State application. The decision to interview an applicant is based on the information provided on the application, therefore, it is essential to fully complete each section of the application and provide detailed information. Submitting an incomplete state application, or a state application lacking in detail, may impact your interview eligibility.
This website will provide a confirmation of receipt when the application is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your application” in your RMS Account to check the status of your application for this position.
This position requires a fingerprint based criminal history background check and a Motor Vehicle Driving record check.