SLR has a busy, well established Geology team in its European Operations, working primarily in the Minerals & Mining sector. Due to ongoing commercial success and a busy forward order book, it is looking to expand its Geology team in the UK with the appointment of a Geology consultant at Project grade within its Bristol or Chelmsford offices.
Joining as part of a European team of leading Geological professionals working as a single cost centre within SLR’s unique “one team” culture.
This position presents an outstanding opportunity to join a team of highly-experienced geologists and within a truly multinational consultancy
and offers significant potential for career development and enhancement based on performance.
The role offers great exposure to the UK Quarrying (construction and industrial minerals) sector along with external and in-house training schemes tailored to the individual’s requirements.
The individual would also have significant exposure to other disciplines within SLR Consulting for example; geotechnical engineers, hydrogeologists and land quality professionals. Key to this is a high level of flexibility and an ability to apply geological knowledge and principles to a variety of situations and offers significant potential for career development and enhancement based on performance.
Our “one team” culture, flat management structure and unfussy approach gives everyone the opportunity to progress; and to work on interesting projects with valued clients. We strive to ensure that opportunities both for new starters and for existing staff are open to all, and we have family friendly policies and agile working aimed at helping staff balance the needs of professional and family life. These include remote working facilities, as well as the potential for part time, job share and other flexible working arrangements.
Along with a competitive salary, we offer a benefits package which includes BUPA membership, pension, business class travel insurance, death in service life cover and much more. SLR is a registered WISE member, and is committed to promoting diversity and inclusion across our business.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Geology team undertakes a wide range of site investigation, resource estimation, quarry planning and associated reporting within the Minerals & Mining sector and the successful applicant will be required to undertake and manage fieldwork and data and assist in preparing subsequent reports to provide advice to clients. The role will require extensive fieldwork, either on or around quarry sites, or in greenfield locations.
- Developing health and safety plans to cover identified work tasks;
- Plan site investigation in advance of field works;
- Liaise with drilling contractors in advance of field works;
- Site Investigation Supervision (safety & technical);
- Taking and logging samples;
- Organising transport of samples to laboratory;
- Recording and maintaining accurate databases of results;
- Modelling results in applicable software (LSS);
- Working with Project Managers to ensure suitable analytical testing regimes are undertaken;
- Assisting Project Managers with reporting tasks, including desk studies, data entry/assessment, borehole/trial pit log preparation, factual reporting (leading to interpretative reporting as experience grows).
Whilst based in the offices indicated, the team undertakes projects throughout the UK which may occasionally involve working on sites UK-wide for periods lasting from 1 day to a week or more. There may also be the opportunity to work overseas.
PERSON SPEC – SUMMARY
- BSc Degree level qualification or equivalent in Geology, ideally with practical experience undertaking site investigations and logging soil & rock samples to British standards (BS5930)
- Membership/Chartered status (or working towards) of a relevant institution (CGeol, EurGeol, PGeo or similar) would be advantageous
- Good IT skills (MS Office or equivalent), and relevant professional software knowledge (modelling & logging software such as LSS/Holebase/AutoCAD/GIS)
- Good communication, report writing and data analysis skills
- The ability to work as part of a team and follow strict Health & Safety protocols
- Full driving license
Closing date for applications: 6th March 2020